Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Why Not to Quit Smoking?

Now to play a bit of devils advocate I've come up with a bit of a list that answers the question of why not to quit smoking and yes I know it's a bit of a dumb question considering all the positive reasons to quit, but here it is:
  • Breaks at Work:
    You know I've come to like my breaks, especially when I'm working on something that's challenging and/or brain numbing(more likely). It's a lot harder to justify taking 5 or 6 coffee breaks during the course of a day.

  • Social Aspects:
    Ask any smoker and they can tell you about one or more people that they've met as a result of smoking, its networking baby! Actually I met my GF smoking.
  • Withdrawl:
    For all the non smokers out there, withdrawl is a bitch, you're cranky you're moody, you snap at people, oh yeah! and you're in pain for a week or two then you get the cravings
  • Stress Releif:
    The reason most people smoke is for stress relief, what do you replace it with? Punching walls? Yelling at the people who are causing you stress? Biting your nails? Take your pick; as bad as smoking maybe it is definitely a form of stress relief
  • It's my choice Damnit!:
    This one doesn't hold it's own as much as the ones above but from a social aspect many people are being guilted into quiting, if you like it then do it, I don't want some nobs telling me what I should or shouldn't be doing, I am an adult, if only in age, and with that I think I've got the right to choose what I do!
  • No Worries about Gaining Weight:
    Ok I'm not really all that concerned about this one but it's still a valid point. Most people gain weight when they quit smoking; I've no desire to put on 25 lbs just because I wanted to be healthier, the extra 25 lbs might be worse for me than the smoking.
  • Lets Face it the Cool Factor:
    I know I'm going to take flak for this but seriously there's this cool factor about smoking, well let me rephrase that there can be a serious cool factor when it comes to smoking. Just think Jude Law in Gattaca blowing smoke into the wine glass, tell me that wasn't cool.

Surpisingly I'm finding this list quite a convincing counterpoint to the last post. I still want to try the quiting but I figured going with the good vs the bad might be interesting.