Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why Quit Smoking?

I guess this is a bit of a straightforward questions but it's one that's been in the back of my mind mostly because my GF and I are planning to attempt quitting starting March 1st. So here goes my list of reasons why I should quit smoking (no real order)

  • Health Reasons:
    I haven't been smoking long but I've already noticed the bad effects of smoking and it can only get worse from here, I get the smokers cough every now and then and to be perfectly honest with you I don't like it.
  • Money:
    Let's face it, smoking gets expensive and I don't even smoke a lot, about a pack every 2.5 days so about 7 packs every 2 weeks, over the course of a year I stand to save over $1500. That alone is almost worth it.
  • Social Aspects:
    I'm pretty fucking sick of being told that I should quit, I know I'm an adult and I'm not THAT stupid it is an addiction after all and it's been proven over and over that it's bad for you.
  • No Smell:
    This is another one of those obvious things, you quit and you won't smell like an ashtray.
  • No Nicotine Addicted Cat:
    I swear I think our cat is addicted to nicotine.
  • No NEED To Go Outside In Winter:
    Yeah it's cold outside in the winter, if I lived in Florida this wouldn't be an issue but this is Toronto and it gets cold out.
  • Makes Sports Easier:
    This is kind of related to the health issue but I like my sports, especially hockey and it's a fucking pain in the ass when you run out of breath chasing some guy ahead of you on a breakaway (or conversely trying to break out of the zone on a 3-1)
  • I Don't Really Like The Taste:
    You know I never really figured out why I smoke as much as I do, I don't like the aftertaste of smoking.
There you have it my quick and dirty list of reasons why to quit smoking, next up reasons why not to quit smoking.