Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Outplacement firm


So part of my severance package from the old company was that they would get me some outplacment councelling. Until today I wasn't 100% sure what this meant other than these people were being paid to help you find a job. But unlike a recruiter an outplacement company offers you proffestionals who do just that they help you find a job by makeing sure your resume is up to snuff helping you with some self analysis, providing workshops on interviewing skills, negotiation, resumewriting. All rather important stuff especially if you've been off the job market for a few years.

The outplacement firm I'm dealing with is called Knightsbridge something or other and the guy I met with has been doing this kind of work for 20 years. Am I going to take any advice he gives me to heart? You better fucking beleive it. So I'm meeting with him on monday to go over my resume to see what he has to say. Hopefully it won't be too bad!

The last thing this company does is provides you with a place to work and conduct your job search, essentially they let you use an office or cubicle with internet access. The actual offices are located on the 30th floor in the middle of Toronto (Yonge and Bloor for those that are from the city) this is an awesome view, I think I might forgo working at home just to take in the fucking amazing view while I'm jobhunting.

Up for tomorrow? Watching more episodes of the OC (we started watching season 1) and I'm going to a career fair; should be interesting.