Wednesday, June 21, 2006

So what’s wrong with MOI?

Well naturally nothing other than the fact that I’m still smoking even though I know this is about the stupidest thing one can do. I’m still out of shape and no I’m not considering round to be a shape, finally I’m not taking any real care of myself.

Last night was the perfect example of this; we had a company outing as a going away for a pretty senior person. The company outing was an hour’s game of shinny… hockey for those that don’t know what shinny is. It was fucking brutal! I thought my lungs were going to rip through my rib cage to get to some oxygen.

Now before all of you blame the smoking on this it’s not just that it’s a combination of all three factors I mentioned. Very simply put during the winter hockey season I was smoking but I was in somewhat better shape… therefore it’s not just the smoking.

So what am I doing about it?

Well realizing something needs to be done is the first thing! (Done)

I was going to write quit smoking but let’s be serious here one has to be prepped and ready to quit or it’s going to be nothing more than an exercise in futility. So to that end I’ve been reading Allen Carr’s The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, I’ve read the book before and had a pretty easy time of quitting for two weeks. But this time it’s there will be no going back.

As for the taking better care of myself, there are a couple things I’m going to start with: first off it’s time to cut back on the drinking, I don’t need to stop it outright but I should take it down a notch or two. This will probably be harder than the quitting smoking mostly because I enjoy having a few drinks and I don’t enjoy smoking. The side benefit to this is I won’t feel stressed out when I look at the finances, nor will I have to deal with the detrimental effects of ‘the day after’. I think just cutting back 25-50% of what I drink now will still qualify me for a heavy drinker but I won’t suffer as much for it. The second thing I’m going to do is start eating a bit better, again this isn’t a complete turn about change but a modification, cut back the shit like fast foods and excessive soft drink intake. Again I think the simple stuff will make a bit of a difference and that’s a good start.

And we’ll think about the gym in the not too distant future… but for now it’s time to get some work done because I can continue writing this long post for days.