Saturday, July 01, 2006

A movie review!


I know that I don’t normally blog on the weekend but it’s time to live on the edge! Ok I think it’s pretty obvious that I don’t blog on the weekend mostly because I’m just chilling out and trying not to think too hard. I sit in front of a computer all day every day so the thought of doing that on the weekend is typically hit and miss. And if I am in front of the computer on the weekend then I’m quite likely playing poker (which I’ve already done today).

So what did I want to write about that was so important that I decided to write on a Saturday? Well first off I felt like writing and secondly I saw last night and I wanted to write a mini-review. I’ve read the book (which is pretty well written and funny) and I liked it so the movie was something I wanted to see and I really liked it. For me I normally don’t notice the acting in a movie unless it’s really good or something that’s completely out of character (Think Stallone in Cop Land) and in this particular case I took note of it in the main cast; not just one or two but the whole cast, which was pretty impressive. Meryl Streep plays the evil Miranda and does a bang up job; when I read the book I had a sense for the character and surprisingly the way Meryl played the character is pretty much how I envisioned it. As for Anne Hathaway, I’ve never seen her in anything quite like this and she did good, I have to say that her acting was subtle. I just liked it even if I’m not sold on her myself. Now for what I thought was the best acting in the movie and that would have been Mr. Stanley Tucci who just kicked ass; his acting was so dead on the money and in many cases deadpan that it was believable. I’d give you some examples but I don’t want to give away any parts of the movie, regardless he really did an amazing job.

When compared to the book the movie held pretty true and didn’t take away from it too much. Now with that said they did take some artistic license to get the movie together. There are whole sections missing but then again the rule of thumb for a movie script is 1 page per minute and the book was over 300 pages if memory serves. So it was inevitable that stuff got cut and the choices for cutting was good.

Ok I’m done writing now… movie was good, go see it.