Thursday, July 06, 2006

The New Job

I haven’t posted much about the new job since I got it, partly because I wanted to keep my poor little blog and work somewhat separate and partly because there has been so many things happening in my life lately that I’ve simply had other things to blog about. But I have to say that I am really enjoying the new job, I haven’t wanted to succeed at something like this in a really long while. For example I’ve been working extra hours which is something that simply wouldn’t have happened at my last job to the point where I think I’m coming close to pushing 55-60 hours a week, and the best part is I’m enjoying a good chunk of it. Another thing I’ve started to do is to read books and information within the field of work which is another thing that I simply wouldn’t have done at the last place; I just didn’t care what happened there.

It’s a very nice feeling to actually enjoy getting up in the morning to go to the office, granted its going to take a little while to get used to the extra hours I’m working (even if I don’t need to) and find a nice happy medium where I get a nice chunk of work done without killing myself or taking enjoyment out of the rest of my life. But I believe that I’m off to a pretty good start.

Now in case some of you are curious I work as a project manager for a software development company. It’s much more in line with my past work experience and more in line with my interests than working at the publishing company. It’s much more laid back and easy going than the last place as well which is quite nice. So in other words, so far so good let’s hope it stays this way.

The only bad thing about this job is the fact that it’s far from where I live; the driving time going home is usually twice that of the drive in. Some days it’s just atrocious. This is definitely something that I’m going to have to get used, or find good times and routes for driving home. I’m blaming this on the stupid construction on the major highways in Toronto.

Ok back to doing that work thing.