Monday, November 27, 2006

Wow it's been a while.

I think it has be close to two weeks since I last posted up here. Normally this would be the place I bitch about the things that I've got going on in my life here (usually work), so you'd think that everything is going well and I'm just in a pretty happy place. Lets get a reality check on that... I hate my job and I'm not the only one in this office that feels that way.

The good news is that I'm pretty close (at least I think so) to getting a new job. One that's on the subway line so I don't have to deal with all the people who got their drivers licenses in a fucking cereal box. But here's the best part, I'm going to be taking a very big pay cut to take this job (close to 30% of my salary) and I'm looking forward to it. Why? Well I know I'll be challenged, I know I'll have to work hard but I also know that I'll be appreciated and finally I know that I'll be a whole hell of a lot happier there. The choice is simple.

On the happiness front I read a very interesting article on Yahoo! today regarding happiness. It points to a very simple approach that people can do to make their lives happier. I was thinking about trying their recommendation out and documenting it for myself which lead me here to my little blog that has a few readers (fewer since I've fallen off the map).

So what's the exercise to be happier? Well it's pretty simple:
Every night, she was to think of three good things that happened that day and analyze why they occurred. That was supposed to increase her overall happiness.

That's pretty easy because during the course of the day you can easily find three good things that happened. My idea was to take this suggestion and actually write about it... document the things that made me happy during the day and figure out why and what they were and what caused them. I haven't been happy with work for a while so the things I choose might be simple but I've always believed there is a beauty in simplicity.