Sunday, March 15, 2009

Changes and balance

Over the past couple weeks... actually I would even say over the past couple months I have really be noticing change. And I am not speaking about myself but change in general. I drive past places that I have driven past for years and things just look different. Change is probably one of the few constants in life yet we all cling to the things that are static.

I see people who do the same things over and over again living their lives in almost a bubble. They don't care about the world they don't care about anything (at least this is what it seems like). They spend years going to work coming home, watching TV and then doing it all over again. Their lives are spend doing virtually nothing yet all around us change happens.

Unless you live in a sleepy town in the middle of nowhere its hard not to notice changes. The face of the city I live in has changed. There are more buildings around now than there were even 10 years ago. I see all of this change and think about that proverbial person who sits at home night in night out watching TV doing nothing. I don't want to be that person.

At times I feel like I have wasted tons of time doing meaningless things and then at others I see that I have accomplished a fair bit. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Could I have done more with my life up until now? Of course I could have but I can also say I've accomplished a few things and enjoyed life and experienced it.

Being very cognizant of change makes me want to accomplish more; there are ideas that pop into my head yet when it comes time to doing something about them the scope of the idea and the effort involved seems like too much and in the end not much gets done. Breaking the ideas down and keeping at them for a while will work but again its making that effort. Its hard finding that balance but then again to really accomplish change should there really be any balance? I'm starting to think that from time to time you need to forgo the balance and take the chance for change.

I think its time to take some of these ideas and make some changes. Keeping everything balanced is fine but if it means you come home and sit down watching the TV night in, night out might not be worth it. The reality of the effort and change doesn't have to be profound. To take an hour out of each day to work on a project might be a lot so for arguments sake say you only spend 30 minutes a day. At the end of the year you'll have spent 182.5 hours working on that project (its the equivalent of almost 5 work weeks). Unless you're trying to build a house that time can really add up to some thing. You can keep the balance to some degree but don't forsake change.